X Kyle M Thompson

Kyle Thompson's Internet Treehouse blog

Friday, November 18, 2005

International Mixtapes Project

I have added 102 songs from nearly 6,000 in iTunes that I think are great, but are perhaps not heard that much these days, or even at all. Then I instructed iTunes to make 2 play lists of about 46 minutes, which I will now record on a cassette - yes, an actual cassette - and post to whomever the mixtapes chappy tells me to.

iTunes, via me, has picked:

Side A

1. Tishbite - Cocteau Twins
2. Lollipop - The Chordettes
3. Pulse - Ramshackle
4. What Time is Love? (Live) - The Williams Fairey Band
5. Dr Fell - Juliet Turner
6. Here I Stand - Milltown Brothers
7. Take the Skinheads Bowling - Camper Van Beethoven
8. Innocent - Addis Black Widow
9. Walk Like A Man - Devine
10. Bould O'Donoghue - Brendan Shine
11. Sikidim (Hepsi Senin Mi?) - Tarkan
12. Cool For Cats - Squeeze

Side B

13. Scooby Doo, Where are You? - Matthew Sweet
14. Video Killed The Radio Star - The Presidents of the United States of America
15. Down Town - The JAMMs
16. Yo Mama - Butterfingers
17. Man of Constant Sorrow - Rod Stewart
18. Dog - Dictation
19. Do The Whirlwind - Architecture in Helsinki
20. Raspberry Beret - Hindu Love Gods
21. Listen Like Thieves - Was (Not Was)
22. After All - The Frank and Walters
23. Try Try Try - Julian Cope
24. Fine Line - Hootie and the Blowfish

Some tracks elicit strong memories of how I discovered them.

Tishbite I heard on a Virgin flight to New York many years ago and loved immediately. I bought the album, but cannot remember any other track from it.
Lollipop - from the film Stand By Me
Pulse is a track from a promo album I bought for 50p in Ben's Collector's Records in Guildford, the shop with officially the most grateful owner in the world.
WTIL? came out just before I went to see the K2 Fuck The Millennium gig at the Barbican, Bill & Jimmy live on stage for 23 minutes only.
Dr Fell - Thanks Terry Wogan!
Here I Stand, Bould O'Donoghue (a rare moment of rockin' folk from the purple-haired-old-ladies' favourite), Scooby Doo, Dog, After All and Hootie and The Blowfish come from years of listening to Danny Baker.
Sikidim is a Turkish holiday classic.
Yo Mama is... well, it's Australian, right? Chorus: Yo mama's on the top of my things to do list, and the rest of the song in that vein.
Man of Constant Sorrow - in the 1960's, Rod Stewart was folky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home